Howard & Davis Model No. 3 wall clock. Boston, Massachusetts. ZZ-26.

This Model No. 3 wall timepiece or banjo clock is nicely proportioned measuring 3 feet 2 inches long. The case is constructed in cherry and retains its faux graining. The graining is added on Howard & Davis banjo clocks. It is India ink that is said to have been applied with a feather at the factory. This decorative treatment is concentrated on the frames and provides the cherry case the appearance of being built in rosewood. The finish is quite good and is original to this example. The zinc dial measures 9 inches in diameter. The dial is signed by the Makers in the appropriate location. Behind this dial, the case is fitted with a weight driven movement This is mounted to the case with a single screw. The heavy plates are rectangular shaped. The weight is cast iron. The pendulum rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains its original black paint. The bob is zinc covered in brass. This swings in front of a wooden weight board. Both painted tablets are original to this clock and are in very good original condition. This clock was made circa 1850.

About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. This partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson left. It is reported that both Howard and Davis served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Together, they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included in addition to various forms of clocks, fire pumpers, postal or balance scales, and other measuring devices. In 1856, the Howard and Davis firm dissolved yet Howard continued to use the name until 1857. It appears David Davis continued the business alone at a location on 15 Washington Street. Edward Howard formed the E. Howard Clock Company and enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.

For more information about this clock click  here .