John White Jr, Humphreysville, Connecticut. A Pillar & Scroll with a brass Salem Bridge 8-day movement.

This is a very good example of a brass geared Pillar & Scroll shelf clock with painted and signed dial that reads, “J. White / HUMPHREYSVILLE”.

This rare example is in excellent condition. The wood, consisting of the feet, scroll work, horns and returns are all original to this clock. The finish has been updated and is in beautiful condition. The front of the clock is fitted with a door. The lower section is decorated with a reverse painted tablet. This glass is original to this example and is in excellent original condition. The colors are excellent. The scene depicts a memorial to George Washington. Several flags, a cannon and a drum, the Liberty cap and Lady Liberty are all colorfully depicted. The upper section of the door is fitted with clear glass. Through this one can view the painted iron dial. This dial is proudly signed “J. White / HUMPHREYSVILLE.” The minute track is closed. The hours are depicted in an Arabic format. A subsidiary seconds dial is included in the time display. Behind the dial is the brass works. The plates have been skeletonized as is the custom of most Salem Bridge clock movements. It features a rack and snail striking system, striking the hour on the hour on a cast iron bell which is mounted inside the case. The movement is weight movement is a time and strike design and is in good condition powered. The weights are compounded and are suspended from pulleys inside the case. This clock was made circa 1820.

This clock was made circa 1820. The dimensions of the case are slightly larger than you standard Pillar & Scroll clock. This case is approximately 32.5 inches tall. It is 4.75 inches deep and 17.5 inches wide. This is a very nice clean example. ZZ64.

About John White Jr. of Humphreysville, Connecticut.

John White Jr was a casemaker, carpenter and millwright who worked in Humphreysville, Connecticut. The village of Humphreysville was renamed Seymour in 1850. This town is located just south of Naugatuck which was previously named Salem Bridge. Salem Bridge is now known in the horological word as the small village that produced a limited amount of brass 8-day clocks while what seemed like the rest of the State of Connecticut was building wooden geared versions. We can speculate that John White Jr., may have been a casemaker for Heman Clark and may have taken this movement in trade for payment.

Sale Pending

For more information about this clock click  here .