Seth Thomas Regulator No. 2. Oak case. Wall clock. 213154.

The Number 2 model is a very popular clock. This model was first made in the 1860s and enjoyed a production run of over 100 years. Over this period the the model experienced a number of small changes in the movement and case design. As a result, we are able to date many of these with in a range of 20 years. This fine example was made sometime around 1900 and was marketed as a small regulator for use in railroads, schools, fire departments, offices, etc.

This case is constructed in oak and and retains its original finish. The color is excellent. The weight driven movement is good quality. It features well finished rectangular shaped plates, a Graham deadbeat escapement and maintaining power. The movement is designed to beat eighty times per each minute. The movement is secured to a large iron mounting bracket which is attached to the backboard. This mounting bracket also supports the pendulum. The pendulum is constructed with a wood rod and a brass covered zinc bob. This clock is designed run for eight-days on a full wind. The dial is original to this clock and is painted on tin. It measures approximately 12 inches across. It is in very good condition. The lower door is fitted with glass. Through this one can view the side to side motion of the pendulum and the lowering of the weight over a weeks time. Inside the case is the Clockmaker’s label. This is not a paper label. It appears to be a transfer of some kind and is printed in reverse.

This fine example measures approximately 36.5 inches long overall, 16 inches wide and 5.75 inches deep. It was made circa 1900. It is inventory number 213154.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .