Eureka Clock Company of London England. This custom case example is No. 12072.

This is a later example. The case is constructed in mahogany and is decoratively inlaid with line patterns and a conch shell. The case is elevated on four round brass pad feet. A double step molding forms the base and transitions into the main case. This surface in decorated with inlay. These include several light line inlay patterns and a central multi-colored conch shell. An applied molding is fitted to the top and forms a swan’s neck pediment. The horns terminate in carved rosettes. The large brass bezel is fitted with glass. This opens to allow one access to the dial. This painted zinc dial measures 12 inches in diameter. A closed minute ring features arrow head pointers at each 5 minute location. Large Arabic style numerals are used to mark each hour. The hands are steel and indicate the time. A star wheel is used to adjust the speed on the movement. This is located on the dial. Turn the star to the right will slow the clock down. The opposite procedure will speed it up. Printed on the dial is the “EUREKA CLOCK CO. / LTD / LONDON. / PAT. No, 14614 -1906.” It is also numbered, “ No. 12072.” Access to the mechanism is gained form the back of the case. Here a large door swings open. Inside one will find the large balance wheel and mechanism. This is the two ball version. This movement is mounted on a seat-board. Below this is a storage area for the battery. We estimate that this clock will run approximately one year on two dell batteries.

This fine shelf or mantel clock measures approximately 24 inches tall, 15.5 inches wide and 6.75 inches deep. This clock is inventory number 219017.

About The Eureka Clock Company Ltd.

The Eureka clock was the brain child of Timothy Bernard Powers. Powers was an electrical engineer living in New York on Broadway. His first patent was applied for on 12, May 1906. Enter the Kutnow Brothers of New York and formally from London, England where they had a manufacturing business. Several other patents were to follow. The Patents that Powers applied for were for the design of a movement that featured a electromagnetic balance wheel. This was powered by a constant voltage (of c.1.5 volts) is required to ensure consistency in the amplitude of oscillation. The Kutnow Brothers were interested in Powers patent and provided him some financial assistance. They soon encouraged him to move to London sometime before 1908 to produce this mechanism / clock. Powers is listed first listed as living at the Charter House Hotel, Chatterhouse Square in London and then later at 361 City Road in London. The Eureka Clock Clock Ltd was formed in London in 1908 by the Kutnows and Frank Jowett. Jowett became the Company’s secretary. The city address was 361/363 City Road. The Eureka Clock Company made clocks between the years of 1908 and 1914. 15 case styles were offered in their catalogs. Most of which are numbered up to 10,000. There are also a series of clocks recorded that have serial numbers between 12,000 and 14,000. These examples are thought to have been presented in non-cataloged cases. The vast majority of these have been found with larger painted metal dials, often measuring in 12 inches in diameter. The cases appear to be custom made, Most of which are a very simple design. It is currently thought that approximately 15,000 clocks were made by them before their demise in 1914.

For more information about this clock click  here .