An unsigned inlaid and cross-banded oak & mahogany case tall clock of English origin. 220032

This is a fancy clock. The case is constructed in a combination of oak and mahogany. The finish appears to be fifty or more years old and has mellowed nicely with age.

The case stands on four applied ogee bracket feet. The base is constructed in oak. It is formatted with a narrow cross-banded perimeter framing An applied panel is centered in this location. It also features a cross-banded mahogany framing. An ogee style molding transitions the base section to the long waist section of the case. The waist decoration is elaborate. The four panels, the Irish panel under the waist door, the panel above the waist door and the two panels under the fluted quarter columns are decorated with inlay. The inlay used is two colors and they contrast nicely highlighting the various designs. One design worth pointing out is the Stag above the waist door. The waist door features a peaked top, simple molded edge, cross-banded mahogany framing, floral inlays and a mahogany diamond pattern. This door provides access to the interior of the case. The two drive weights and pendulum are located here. The bonnet door is arched and glazed and made of mahogany. Fully turned bonnet columns flank the sides of the door supporting a swan’s neck pediment. The swan’s necks terminate with brass rosettes.

This colorfully painted iron dial was manufactured in Birmingham, England by the Finnemore firm. It is fitted with a false plate and is signed at the top. Depicted in the arch of this dial is a full view of a Lincoln Cathedral in England as it has two west end towers plus a central tower, which are still there.  Few cathedrals have all three towers.  Lincoln is considered one of the most beautiful, largest and famous of English cathedrals. Until the early 19th century the two west end towers had spires on them, as represented on the dial.  The spires were removed in 1807 to alleviate weight and for fear of collapse of the large towers, as the great central tower had a spire more than 500 feet high when built hundreds of years ago.  It collapsed in a storm in the mid-16th century, probably from excess weight or even design/structural issues. A number of people are depicted in the foreground. The four spandrel areas are decorated with floral patterns. The hours are indicated by large Roman style numerals. The five minute markers are indicated arrow heads. A subsidiary seconds dial and a calendar dial are displayed in the traditional locations an indicated by separate hands. The brass hands are fully formed and wonderfully detailed.

The weight driven movement is constructed in brass and is good quality.  Four turned pillars support the two brass plates. Hardened steel shafts support the polished steel pinions and brass gearing. The winding drums are grooved. The escapement is designed as a recoil format. The movement is weight driven and designed to run eight days on a full wind. It is a two train or a time and strike design having a rack and snail striking system.  As a result, it will strike each hour on the hour.  This is done on a cast iron bell which is mounted above the movement. 

This clock stands approximately 7 feet 6 inches tall to the top of the brass finial. Measured at the upper bonnet molding, this case is approximately 21.5 inches wide an 10 inches deep. This clock was made circa 1830.

220032

Sale Pending

For more information about this clock click  here .