Eli Terry & Sons Transitional Shelf Clock. A stenciled column and splat. DD37

In 1823, Eli Terry established a partnership with his two sons Eli Jr., and Henry. This venture lasted until 1831. Together they were large producers of 30 hour wooden works shelf clocks which included the Pillar & Scroll model pictured here and stenciled cased clocks. They also produced a small number of eight-day wooden movement shelf clocks.

Eli Terry was born in East Windsor, Connecticut on April 13, 1772. He was the son of Samuel and Huldah (Burnham) Terry. He served his apprenticeship to Daniel Burnap until 1792. In 1815 he developed the Pillar and Scroll case design and patented it in June 12,1816.

Eli Terry Junior was born in 1799 and died in 1841. He served his apprenticeship under his father and then set up shop in Plymouth, Connecticut where he made many different styles of clocks.

Henry Terry was born in Plymouth on November 2nd, 1801 and died January 7th, 1877. He was one of eight children born to Eli & Eunice (Warner) Terry. He worked in various clock making enterprises. Some of which included the firm E. Terry & Sons (1823-1831), E. Terry & Son (1831-1832), Henry Terry & Co. (1834-1836) and the Terry Clock Company in Waterbury.

This fine clock is often called or referred to as a “Transitional Shelf Clock.” It retains its original manufactures’ label which is pasted inside the case. It reads “PATENT CLOCKS. / INVENTED BY / ELI TREEY. / MADE AND SOLD / AT / PLYMOUTH, CONNECTICUT. BY / ELI TERRY & SONS.” This Clockmaker’s label is in good original condition and can be found pasted inside the case onto the backboard. The case is mahogany and retains an older finish. Please notice how the case stands up on carved animal paw feet. The quarter columns that are applied to the front corners of the case are decorated with a stencil design. The top of this clock is surmounted with a gallery. Two plinths center a stenciled decoration of fruit and leaves. All the stenciled decoration found throughout the construction of this clock is in original condition. The door is divided into two sections. The lower section is decorated with a reverse painted tablet which is in good original condition. Note the opening in the design in the shape of an oval. This allows one to see the motion of the pendulum. The upper section of the door is fitted with clear glass. The dial is painted on wood and features gilt decorations in the spandrel areas and bold Arabic style hour numerals. The movement is constructed in wood. This wooden works movement is weight driven and is designed to run 30 hours on a full wind. It will strike the hour on a cast iron bell that is mounted to the backboard below the movement. This fine example stands approximately 30.5 inches tall and was made circa 1831.

DD-37

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .