John Kennard. A Newfields, New Hampshire tall case clock.

The mahogany crossbanded cherry case stands on four nicely shaped turned feet. These exhibit good form and are nicely detailed with ring turnings. They are applied to the underside of the base. A drop apron forms a skirt that hangs from the base panel. An applied molding defines the top of the apron. The panel is cross banded with a mahogany border. The waist is long and features a rectangular shaped waist door that conceals the weights and pendulum. This door is trimmed with an applied molding. It is also cross banded with a mahogany border. The sides of the waist are fitted with finely reeded quarter columns. These are mounted in brass quarter capitals. The blocks under each quarter column is line inlaid. The bonnet features a whale’s tails fretwork design. Three reeded finial plinths support the brass finials. These finials are original to this clock and are wonderful. The arched bonnet door is also line inlaid. The center is fitted with glass. The bonnet columns are mounted in brass capitals. There share the same reeded format found in the waist section. These columns appear to be supporting the upper bonnet molding.

The iron dial is nicely paint decorated and is of Boston origin. The four spandrel areas feature a lacy gilt design that frames a green medallion. Peaches and grapes are featured in the arch. A bird sits on top of the display. This dial displays hours, minutes in a traditionally formatted time ring. It is interesting to note that seconds and calendar day have been omitted. This dial is signed by the Maker, “J. S. Kennard “ in script lettering.

This fine movement is constructed in brass and is good quality.  Four turned pillars support the two brass plates. Hardened steel shafts support the polished steel pinions and brass gearing. The winding drums are grooved. The escapement is designed as a recoil format. The movement is weight driven and designed to run eight days on a full wind.   It is a two train or a time and strike design having a rack and snail striking system.  As a result, it will strike each hour on the hour.  This is done on a cast iron bell which is mounted above the movement. 

This fine clock was made circa 1815. It stands approximately 7 feet inches tall to the top of the center finial.

About John Kennard of Newfields, New Hampshire

John Kennard was born in Kittery, Maine in 1782. He was one of nine children born to Timothy Kennard and Abigail Stevens who married September 8th, 1779. John is thought to have learned clockmaking in Portsmouth, NH. On July 3, 1806, he married Sarah Ewer daughter of James and Drusilla (Ewer) Burleigh. They moved around New Hampshire, living in Nashua and then in Concord before moving to Newfields in 1812. In Newfields they occupied the Palmer House. Here he made clocks and kept a store. He was postmaster in 1822 through 1824. He served as Town Clerk, Selectman and the State Representative. In 1823, John built the Kennard House on Piscassie Street and began a foundry with Temple Paul and the Drakes. They sold out in 1834. John died Jan 14,1861. Tall clocks, banjo clocks and a surveyor’s quarter circle with compass are known.

For more information about this clock click  here .