Seth Thomas Regulator No. 31. Mahogany wall clock.

Seth Thomas Wall Regulator No. 31. Working

This very impressive wall clock measures approximately 68 inches long, 25 inches wide and is 9 inches deep. The case is constructed in mahogany and retains its original finish. This surfaced has been waxed and remains a lovely deep rich color. The case features decorative details that include turned finials at the top and bottom of the case, reeded moldings are used in the construction of the door frame, and inset panel is incorporated in the construction of the backboard.

The painted zinc dial is framed with a brass bezel and measures a full 18 inches in diameter. It displays the hours in large Arabic numerals. The seconds have their own subsidiary seconds dial. The time is displayed by two large decorative hands that retain their original bluing. The minute hand, due to its length, is counter balanced. This dial is also signed by the Maker.

The brass constructed movement is very good quality. It is weight powered and wound with a crank key. This clock is designed to run eight days on a full wind. The front plate is die stamped with the Maker’s name and trademark. The plates are shaped like a trapezoid and as a result it tapers at the top. The escapement is a Graham deadbeat that is adjustable from the top. The gearing incorporates maintaining or retaining power. A shaped wood rod supports the brass faced pendulum bob. This is suspended from an iron bracket that is mounted to the backboard. The weight is also covered in brass and descends in front of the pendulum. Please note the swing indicator mounted to the backboard.

This large wall clock was made circa 1900.

The photos of this clock were taken before it was serviced.

About Seth Thomas

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .