Louis Bernhard of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. Floor standing regulator. -SOLD-
This very impressive floor standing regulator that was made in 1875 by Louis Bernhard of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. The design of which is a feast for the eyes.The case is signed by the maker. A lead inscription written on the back board indicates that Bernhard is the maker of the case as well and it was completed in 1875. He is known to have been a skill wood worker. This case is constructed in black walnut and is highlighted with figured burl walnut veneers. The top is fitted with a carved crest that features a bust depicting “Columbia.” Two turned wooden finials are supported on wooden plinths. They are located at each corner. The lower pedestal tapers to a blunt point. This is decorated with applied molding and a carved stylized lion’s head. The waist is fitted with a full-length glass door and glass side lights. The door opens to access the interior of the case. A large mirror is fitted to the backboard and is secured with applied moldings.
The circular glass dial is fitted in a decoratively turned bezel. The glass dial features Roman hour numerals and a subsidiary seconds dial. Because the dial is glass, one can view the movement.
This thirty-day weight powered movement features skeletonized plates that are decoratively engraved. In addition, the makers name is engraved into the the front plate "Louis Bernhard, Bloomsburg, Pa." This movement also features an exposed escape wheel which is front-mounted. The gravity escapement incorporates pivoted detent arms similar to “Reids spring pallet” escapement. This is regulated by a large single faceted glass jar pendulum. The jar is filled with mercury, compensating for temperature. This pendulum is also signed and dated "Louis Bernhard/1875" A separate skeletonized striking movement is mounted in the base of this example. It is also signed "Louis Bernhard, Bloomsburg, PA." This one is designed with a front-mounted count-wheel strike system. The rear-mounted hammer strikes on a bell mounted inside the case. This movement is also powered by a separate brass-cased weight. Interestingly, this movement needs to be wound once a week.
This clock measures approximately 95 inches tall and is 32 inches wide.
Inventory number 214051.
About Louis Bernhard of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.
Louis Bernhard is listed in several references as a watchmaker and jeweler working most of his life in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.
Louis Bernhard was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1839. His family immigrated to America when he was a year old settling in New York City. With in a few years, they moved West to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Here he spent his childhood and was educated in the local town’s school system. At he age of seventeen, Louis began an apprenticeship in the watch making trade with John F. JORDAN of that place. In 1858, Louis relocated in the village of Bloomsburg where he established the watchmaker’s and jewelers’ business of his own. In 1859, he exhibited a chronometer watch at the Columbia County county fair. He claimed to have manufactuered all of it’s parts. This is thought to have been the first watch ever made in the county. It is reported that during his residence in Bloomsburg, he trained eleven apprentices in the watch trade. He is also said to have served the community as an architect and provided the plans for the Lowenberg & Cadman block, the Episcopal parsonage and his residence on Fifth Street. Even the iron fence surrounding his well kept and ornamental grounds was cast from designs drawn and furnished by him. He also enjoyed oil painting and was a carver in marble and wood. A few examples of his work survive. Examples include an elaborately finished case of black walnut housing an astronomical clock of most intricate and perfect workmanship, an elegant inlaid box for his drawing instruments, a large elaborately carved black walnut looking-glass frame, several oil paintings that included landscapes representing some of the choicest scenery in the vicinity of Bloomsburg, several copies of famous paintings, among them “Shakespeare and his Friends.” All of these paintings are well executed and denote a high order of artistic skill. He has also executed oil portraits of himself and his wife and other members of his family. Mr. BERNHARD was a resident of Bloomsburg for nearly thirty years. He is thought to have been progressive and public-spirited, and has served this vicinity as a member of the council. He married Anna J. TOWNSEND in April, 1862. They had six children. Mr. and Mrs. Bernhard were members of the Episcopal Church. He made a study of civil engineering at Wilkes-Barre Academy, and completed his studies in New York City. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Bloomsburg, pg. 323)
Other known articles include his wheel cutting engine which is in the William Penn Memorial Museum in Harrisburg. A floor standing regulator made by him is in the NAWCC collection in Columbia, PA. This clock is described as a Regulator, having an eight-day time only brass movement. It utilizes the escapement invented by Thomas Reid of Edinburgh, Scotland in early 1800s. The heavy brass plates are skeletonized and attached to a wooden seatboard. The movement is engraved, “Louis Bernhard / Bloomsburg PA.” The pendulum is a Harrison gridiron design. The bob is also engraved with “Louis Bernhard, Maker.” The painted glass dial allows view of movement. It includes a subsidiary seconds dial. The walnut case is fitted with six glass panes. The interior is painted black with his portrait on behind the pendulum.
For more information about this clock click here .