Moses Wing of Windsor, Connecticut. Tall case clock. HH-16.

This is a fine cherry case tall clock with an engraved silvered brass dial signed by Moses Wing of Windsor, Connecticut.

Of the Twelve or so examples identified by the Windsor Historical Society in Windsor, Connecticut, this is said to be the most developed in terms of is case form. This example having the combination of applied moldings added to the pagoda, quarter columns in the waist section and a robust double step molding is unique to this clock maker.

This clock stands on an applied molding which rest flat on the floor. The waist is long and narrow and features a nicely shaped waist door. This door is trimmed with a simple molded edge. Through this door one can access the interior of the case. The sides of this case are fitted with fluted quarter columns that end in decoratively turned wooden quarter capitals. The bonnet is a modified pagoda form that is original to this clock. It supports three turned wooden finials. The center finial is mounted on a platform while the other two are supported on square plinths. The bonnet door is a tomb-stoned shape and is fitted with glass. Fully turned and free standing bonnet columns are located on either side of this door. This case exhibits typical proportions and wood selection for this region.

The skillfully engraved dial is brass and has been silvered with a wash. The decorative designs are consistent with dials found along the Connecticut River Valley and then down to Norwich. This dial is signed by the Maker in the arch along with his working location. It also bears the initials “D. P.” below the calendar aperture. These initials may belong to the original owner who is not identified. The time and strike movement is brass, eight-day duration and of good quality. This clock made circa 1785 and stands approximately 7 feet 10 inches tall.

This clock is inventory number HH-16.

About Moses Wing of Windsor and Hartford Connecticut and Worcester, Massachusetts.

Moses Wing was born April 25, 1760 the son of Samuel and Joannah (Haskell) Wing. He served in the Revolutionary War and was present at the retreat from New York. In 1777, He enlisted as a private for service at Peekskill in Capt Edward Griswold’s company of the Conn militia. End ended his service as a major. He returned to Windsor and became know as a Goldsmith, but made brass clocks, silver spoons, etc., and also repaired watches. Several tall case clocks are known to us. All of which have had sheet brass dials that were skillfully engraved and treated with a silver wash. Two of these dial have been found with the initials “DP” engraved on them below the center arbor. DP has not yet been identified. This type of engraved brass dial was very popular with the clockmaking school of Thomas Harland and later Daniel Burnap. In fact, we know that Wing apprenticed to Thomas Harland and that the construction of the movements known, reflect this. In March of 1803, he and Geer Terry advertised their partnership in the Hartford American Mercury that they were “Makers of all kinds of gold and silver work.” They were located in Hartford until 1805 when Moses relocated to Worcester, MA and advertised as a gold and silversmith. Here he took on Martin Moses as an apprentice. Moses married twice. His first wife was Hannah Denslow, married on 12 December 1781 in Windsor. His second wife was Huldah Denslow, A cousin of Hannah’s. They were married on 8 April 1793 in Windsor. Moses Wing died on October 28, 1809 in Worcester and is buried in Palisdo Cemetry in Windsor where his tombstone still stands.  Huldah Wing was appointed administratix of the estate of her husband Moses, which was inventoried for $2284.67. 

For more information about this clock click  here .