Seth Thomas Chronometer Lever Clock. 14.75 inch dial. Barr Pumping Engine Co. -SOLD-
This clock was original marketed for yachts, steamers and all places where accurate time is necessary and a pendulum clock cannot be used. This example, having a case that measures 14.5 inches in diameter and a dial that measures 12 inches across was the largest model cataloged. In 1920. It was cataloged as the "Ship's Lever No. 12."
This is a nice clean example of a "Chronometer Lever" clock made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company. The case is cast brass and features a nickel plated surface. The bezel is hinged on the right and locks on the left. The bezel is fitted with glass. The double wind time only movement is stamped 10A. It features a jeweled escapement with a compensating balance wheel. The movement is brass construction and is die stamped by the Maker on the front plate. It is spring wound and is designed to run eight days on a full wind. The dial is also metal and has been silvered. Fancy Arabic numerals mark the hours on the time ring. It also features a small seconds indicator above the center arbor.
This clock has a bit of information about the original owners engraved on the dial. It was used by the "BARR PUMPING ENGINE CO." of "PHILADELPHIA." It was sold to them by the "ASHCROFT MFG Co.," which had locations in New York and in Philadelphia. There is quite a lot of information available about this company currently on line.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .