E. Howard & Co., Boston, MA. Model No. 6. Wall regulator. Figure 8. "Watchman's Bank and Public Office Clock."

This Number 6 Regulator or the “Figure Eight” form is arguably one of the most attractive antique wall clock forms in today’s marketplace. This impressive example is the largest of 5 individual sizes that share this distinctive form. This case measures 4 feet 10 inches long. It is constructed in black walnut and retains an older finish. The condition of which is very good making it a desirable example. The front of this case also serves as a door. It is hinged and swings to the right. This door is fitted with glass. The upper glass is clear and through it, you are able to view the dial. The middle tablet or throat glass is decorated in black and gold from the back. The center section is left clear so that you can view the motion of the gilded pendulum rod. The lower circular tablet is painted in the traditional E. Howard colors of black, red and gold. The center of this is also left clear in order to view the brass faced pendulum bob.

The iron dial on this model measures 14 inches in diameter. The iron is original but the graphics have been repainted or fully restored. This professional restoration was done at least 30 plus years ago and as a result, is now showing some signs of age. The hours are indicated with Roman style figures. The subsidiary seconds dial is divided into ten second increments which are labeled in an Arabic format. The Company name is signed below the center arbor in an Old English form of block lettering. It reads, “E. Howard & Co., / Boston.”

The time is indicated in the traditional format. The hands are designed with open diamonds out on their ends. These are original to this clock.

The weight driven movement is constructed in brass and of very good quality. The Maker’s name can be found die-stamped into the front plate. The plates a quite heavy and are finely finished. This movement is designed to beats seconds on a Graham dead beat escapement. It is fitted with maintaining or retaining power. This is a device that maintains power on the great wheel while in the process of winding this clock. This has two positive effects. First, it prevents the loss of impulse to the time train while winding. Secondly, it protects the teeth on the escape wheel due to the large size and weight of the 8 inch bob at the bottom of the pendulum. A Geneva stop work will prevent you from over winding this clock. The pendulum is carefully suspended by a double suspension spring which is supported at the top of the movement. The rod is made from straight grain cherry that was appropriately seasoned and retains its’ original gilding. The bob measures 8 inches in diameter. It is zinc and covered with a brass jacket for compensation. The face of the bob is decorated with a number of engraved concentric rings. The damascene decoration is in excellent original condition. The original cast iron weight is impressed with the number 6. This clock is designed to run for 8 days on a full wind.

This example is fitted with a reconstructed wooden red painted weight board. This board not only provides a guide for the weight or protection for the pendulum but is also used as a field of color for the pendulum to swing in front of.

This fine clock was made circa 1875.

Condition: This impressive looking clock is in good restored condition. The dial graphics and both painted tablets have been professional redone. According to the previous owner, this must have been done 30 or more years ago. In addition, the red weight board has been replaced. The movement will be fully serviced and is in excellent working condition. The photos of this movement were taken prior to this service.

Please note this clock was photographed before we serviced it.

About Edward Howard of Boston, Massachusetts.

The E. Howard Clock Company has an outstanding reputation for making high quality weight driven wall timepieces, standing regulators, public clocks and electro-mechanical master and watchman clocks.

The E. Howard & Company succeeded the Howard & Davis firm in 1857. The Howard and Davis firm was comprised of Edward Howard and David P. Davis and was established in 1842. Both men served their apprenticeship with Aaron Willard Jr of Boston. This firm was involved in watch and clock manufacturing since 1842. This firm also made high grade clocks, precision balances, sewing machines and fire engines. After the dissolution of Howard and Davis, Edward Howard went on to become Boston’s leading manufacture of weight driven clocks. This included residential clocks, commercial clocks and tower clocks. They also sold a large number of watchman and salve clock systems. These sold well in the late 1800’s.

It has been said that the E. Howard Clock company never made an inexpensive clock and that everything they made was of very good quality. As a result, Howard clocks have become very collectible and are prized by their owners. Today, the E. Howard clock name enjoys outstanding name recognition.

For a more in depth reading of E. Howard and his various businesses, please read Paul Foley’s book, Willard’s Patent Time Pieces.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .