Howard & Davis Model No.1 Regulator. Boston, Massachusetts. Wall clock. TT-91.

The No.1 Regulator is an impressive clock measuring 4 feet 2 inches long. This case is constructed in cherry wood which is lightly grained with india ink. This is done in order to simulate the grain pattern and look of rosewood. The tablets are painted in the traditional colors of back and gold from the back. These are original to this clock and are in excellent condition. The pendulum hangs from the front of the movement. The supporting rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains it’s original gilding. This can be viewed through a clear opening in the throat tablet decoration. The large heavy bob is zinc and is covered in brass. The brass retains it’s original damascene pattern. The pattern is bold and remains in excellent condition. The motion of this eight inch bob can been easily viewed through the oval opening in the lower tablet. The paper dial on this example is original to this clock and is in excellent original condition. It measures 12 inches in diameter and features a Roman numeral formatted time ring, subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s name and working location. The movement is excellent quality and is mounted to the backboard with tabs. It is designed with heavy brass trapezoidal shaped plates, a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, maintaining power, a double suspension spring and a Geneva Winding Stop. As a result, these clocks vary only seconds a month and are excellent time keepers. This impressive wall hanging timepiece was made circa 1850.

This clock was recently removed from a medical practice in downtown Boston.

About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. Both men were trained and served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Their partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson departed. The Howard & Davis Clock Company was located at No 34 Water Street. Here they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included various forms of high grade clocks and precision balances or scales. Gold standard balances were used by banks. Letter balances were built under contract for the United States Government. These were used in state and county offices. Town standards (scales) and Druggist’s balances were also manufactured along with the necessary weights. The company also made sewing machines and fire pumpers. In 1857, the Howard & Davis firm was dissolved when D. P. Davis left to peruse other ventures. In 1857, Davis was part of Davis, Polsey & Co. This firm identified itself as the “late Howard and Davis.” They manufactured clocks and a line of pull cord, pin registration watch clocks. This firm lasted until 1860. Posley continued to make these clocks on his own. In 1858, E. Howard began to sign his clocks, E. Howard & Co. This firm enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .