E. Ingraham & Co., Bristol, Conn. Arch Top No. 1 mantel clock.
Elias Ingraham was born in Marlborough, Connecticut on October 1, 1805. He died in 1885, Elias dies and his brother Edward carries on as the President of E. Ingraham & Co. The Ingrahams, as a family made and sold clocks for over 150 years.
Elias was trained as a casemaker. He served is apprenticeship to in Glastonbury. Once a journeyman, he took a job for George Mitchell designing cases.
This model represents a business that was started in 1857. Elias had just moved back from Ansonia to Bristol and rented the old Boardman shop on Pond street. With several financial backers he formed the Elias Ingraham & Company. This is one of the first models he designed. It is referred to as the “Arch Column No. 1.” It first appeared in 1857 when Elias was granted a patent for the case design. This model remain in production for 15 years. The example pictured here is a later version having the door fitted with two circular openings. The early versions have a circle over a square opening.
This mahogany case measures approximately 17 inches tall and is veneered with rosewood highlights. Note the large veneered cornice molding located at the top of this case. This is the fancier of two case versions. This example is constructed with the arch moldings on the side of the case. In addition, Columns are applied to the back corners of the case to support the back side of the arch moldings. The more common case case version features flat sides from the base molding to the cornice molding. The door is centered in the front of the case by two tapered columns which are applied to the case. The lower tablet is unusual in terms of it's blue coloring. It depicts a scene that features Father Time being pulled across a starry sky by a pair of horses. He is standing in his winged chariot holding a scythe and an hour glass in one hand and the reins in the other. This original tablet is in good overall condition. The upper section is fitted with a clear piece of glass. Open this door and one can access the dial and interior of the case.
The dial is paper and is applied to a tin pan. It is original to the clock. It features Roman style hour numerals. The dial pan is trimmed with a brass bezel. Pressed into the outer ring is the May 10, 1859 patent date.
The brass spring powered movement is designed to run eight day on a full wind and strike the hour on a wire gong. The striking mechanism is a count wheel design.
The Maker's label is applied to the backboard. The condition of which is very good. This label was printed by the "Calhoun Printing Company, 65 State Street, Hartford, Conn." It lists the December 22d, 1857 patent.
This clock was made circa 1860. It is 17 inches tall to the top of the case. The cornice molding is 11 inches wide and 4.75 inches deep.
For more information about this clock click here .