Seth Thomas 10 Inch Drop Octagon wall clock. A school clock.
215031 Seth Thomas 10 Inch Drop Octagon. School clock.
This "Drop Octagon Ten Inch" was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut. These clocks are commonly called "School House" clocks because they were often used in school rooms across this country. The Seth Thomas version of this clock is, in my opinion, the model by which all others are judged.
This is a nice clean example. The case is oak and retains a lighter finish. The color is quite pleasing. The time only movement features a front plate that is die stamped with the Maker's trademark. This movement is spring wound being fitted with a Geneva Stop winding mechanism and is designed to run eight days on a full wind. It is fitted with a Geneva Stop winding mechanism. The pendulum bob is covered in brass and can be viewed through the opening in the painted design on the glass door in the front of the case. The dial measures 10 inches in diameter and is painted on tin. It features large Arabic style hour numerals and the Maker's name printed in large block lettering.
This oak cased clock was made circa 1910. This clock measures approximately measures 21.5 inches long.Clocks like this can serve a house hold well. They look good in numerous settings like kitchens and bathrooms. Often they become part of the family.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .