Seth Thomas Regulator No. 18. Wall regulator.

This is the grand-daddy of the school clock form. A form which all American clock collectors recognize. This large oak case wall clock measures approximately 54 inches long, 20.25 inches wide and 5.5 inches deep. Big regulators like this one are visually pleasing. The gentle motion of the pendulum is a sight to see.

This example retains and older if not an original finish that enhances the warm golden oak coloring. The painted dial measures 14 inches in diameter and is painted on a zinc pan. It is in excellent original condition which is remarkable for a Seth Thomas clock. The dial features a time track that displays the hours with Roman numeral figures, a subsidiary seconds dial located above the center arbor, the Maker’s name printed in block lettering is displayed just above the six o’clock hour and the statement, “MANUFACTURED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” below the time ring. This dial is in very good original condition. The movement is brass and is very good quality. The movement is weight powered and is designed to run eight days on a full wind. It incorporates both a “Graham Deadbeat escapement” and “maintaining power.” The front plate is die-stamped with the clockmaker’s trademark. This movement is secured to the case by an iron bracket that is screwed to the backboard. The pendulum also hangs from this location. It is constructed with a wooden rod and a large brass covered bob. It is designed to compensate for changes in temperature. The weight is also brass and matches the finish found on the bob. This clock was made in June of 1906. We know this because the case is stamped with the Seth Thomas code on the back.

About Seth Thomas

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .