Seth Thomas. Plymouth, Connecticut. Model 2 Pillar & Scroll.
This is a good example of a most attractive Pillar & Scroll shelf clock retaining the pasted label, “Patent Clocks, / Made and Sold by / SETH THOMAS; / And warranted if well used.”
The mahogany case features a darker finish. The light maple banding in the arch is a nice decorative touch. The feet, scroll work, horns and returns are all original to this clock. The case is surmounted with three period brass finials that are original to this fine example. The case features a large door that is divided into two sections. Both sections retain their original glass. The lower tablet has been professionally restored. The original scene has had some inpainting from the back. An opening in the scene is located to the right of center. Through this window, one can view the brass faced pendulum bob. The wooden dial is colorfully painted. It features geometric patterns in each of the four spandrel areas. Additional gilt work can be seen in the interior of the dial. This is also skillfully executed. The time ring feature Arabic style hour figures. The quarter hours are also marked on the interior of the minute ring. The wooden geared movement is weight driven and is designed to run thirty hours on a full wind. This clock strikes the hour on a cast iron bell that is mounted inside the case on the backboard. The back plate is solid, the front plate is described as open straps. This model features a count wheel. (The Model one was fitted with a rack and snail striking system.) The weights are compounded. The Clockmaker's label is in very good original condition. It is pasted inside the case on to the backboard.
This fine clock was made circa 1820 and stands approximately 30.5 inches tall, 17.25 inches wide and 4.5 inches deep. This is a very good example.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .