Howard & Davis Model No.3 wall clock. An early example.

This Model No. 3 wall timepiece or banjo clock is nicely proportioned measuring 3 feet 2 inches long. The case is constructed in cherry and retains its graining. The graining is added or applied with Indian ink. This gives a standard model the appearance of being built in rosewood. The finish is quite good. It is warm and inviting. Please note the unusual arrangement that secures the bezel. The device is much like what would be found on a first period banjo clock. This suggests that this is most likely a very early example of a Howard & Davis made clock. The iron dial measures 9 inches in diameter. The dial is signed by the Makers in the appropriate location. Behind this dial, the weight driven movement is mounted to the case with a single screw. The heavy plates feature a tapered shape, narrowing at the top. The front plate is die stamped by the Maker. The pendulum rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains its original gilding. The center of the throat tablet has been left open so that one can see the motion of the rod when the clock is operational. The bob is zinc covered in brass. The damascene design is original and is in very good condition. Both painted tablets are original to this clock. The weight is cast iron. This clock was made circa 1847.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in 1847 in Boston, Massachusetts. This firm was a Partnership that included Edward Howard and David P. Davis. Both men where friends and were trained as clockmakers by Aaron Willard in Roxbury, Massachusetts. They were in business together as early as 1842 with Luther Stephenson as Stephenson, Howard & Davis, In 1847, Stephenson departed and the Howard & Davis name was used. This firm got into financial trouble due to a venture Howard was involved with. Davis left the firm sometime in 1856 in order to pursue other endeavors. Together, they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included, in addition to clocks, postal scales, fire pumpers and other measuring devices.

About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. Both men were trained and served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Their partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson departed. The Howard & Davis Clock Company was located at No 34 Water Street. Here they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included various forms of high grade clocks and precision balances or scales. Gold standard balances were used by banks. Letter balances were built under contract for the United States Government. These were used in state and county offices. Town standards (scales) and Druggist’s balances were also manufactured along with the necessary weights. The company also made sewing machines and fire pumpers. In 1857, the Howard & Davis firm was dissolved when D. P. Davis left to peruse other ventures. In 1857, Davis was part of Davis, Polsey & Co. This firm identified itself as the “late Howard and Davis.” They manufactured clocks and a line of pull cord, pin registration watch clocks. This firm lasted until 1860. Posley continued to make these clocks on his own. In 1858, E. Howard began to sign his clocks, E. Howard & Co. This firm enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .