Seth Thomas Office Calendar No., 3 or more commonly called the Peanut.
This charming Seth Thomas wall clock is the correctly referred to the Office Calendar No., 3 in the Seth Thomas catalogs. In the trade, it is more commonly referred to as the “Peanut” and is a collectors favorite. The case is veneered in rosewood and retains an older original looking finish. The veneer is in excellent condition having only very minor areas of weakness. Commonly the veneer on this model is compromised. This clock does not suffer from those issues.
This model is a diminutive size measuring only 24 inches long by 10.5 inches wide. Both dials are original to the clock and are painted on tin. The upper dial is flat and measures 5 inches in diameter. The later examples have a raised band pressed into the dial under the time ring. The "S T" hands are a nice Seth Thomas detail. The lower dial is a little larger. It measures 7 inches in diameter and displays the month, date and day. This dial is also in excellent original condition. The time only spring driven movement is constructed in brass. This movement features the solid circular brass plates. The calendar mechanism is the early Mix Brothers patent. Seth Thomas used this calendar mechanism until 1876 when Randal T. Andrews was granted a patent in February of 1876. This was then the calendar mechanism of choice used in Seth Thomas clocks. Remnants of the Maker’s label is pasted on the backboard. The Marker’s blue set up label is pasted to inside of the door. This is in good original condition.
This model was first offered in the catalog in 1866. This example was made shortly there after in the 1870s.This example is inventory number TT-171.
About Seth Thomas
Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.
In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.
For more information about this clock click here .