Howard & Davis No.1 Regulator. Boston, Massachusetts. Wall clock.

The No.1 Regulator is an impressive clock measuring 4 feet 2 inches long. This is a decorative example. It has been restored to a level that attracts a lot of attention. The painted glasses are bright, the wooden work is super clean. It is hard to walk by this clock with out it attracting ones attention.

The case is constructed in cherry wood which is vibrantly grained with india ink. This is done in order to simulate the grain pattern and look of rosewood. The surface has been treated with a high polish. It stands out. The tablets are painted in the traditional E. Howard colors of back, red and gold from the back. These have been repainted and are in excellent condition. The pendulum hangs from the front of the movement. The supporting rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains its original gilding. This can be viewed through a clear opening in the throat tablet decoration. The large heavy bob is zinc and is covered in brass. The brass retains its original damascene pattern. The pattern is bold and remains in excellent condition. The motion of this eight inch bob can been easily viewed through the clear opening in the lower tablet. The paper dial on this example is original to this clock and is in excellent original condition. It measures 12 inches in diameter and features a Roman numeral formatted time ring, subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s name and working location. This dial is signed, “HOWARD & DAVIS / BOSTON.” The movement is excellent quality and is mounted to the backboard with tabs. It is designed with heavy brass trapezoidal shaped plates, a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, maintaining power, a double suspension spring and a Geneva Winding Stop. As a result, these clocks vary only seconds a month and are excellent time keepers.

This impressive wall hanging timepiece was made circa 1850. It is inventory number TT-143.

About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. This partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson left. It is reported that both Howard and Davis served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Together, they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included in addition to various forms of clocks, fire pumpers, postal or balance scales, and other measuring devices. In 1856, the Howard and Davis firm dissolved yet Howard continued to use the name until 1857. It appears David Davis continued the business alone at a location on 15 Washington Street. Edward Howard formed the E. Howard Clock Company and enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .