Seth Thomas Clock Company. The "Umbria." 15 day runner. Installed in Bridgewater, Mass.

This is an interesting looking wall clock. The case is constructed in oak and the finish darkened considerably over the tears. This may be a result of the environment in which this clock original hung and performed its service for a number of years. The case measures 40.5 inches long and is attractively shaped. The top is fitted with an architecturally shape pediment that centers a single turned wooden finial. The top section frames the dial. The lower box is fitted with a door. Behind it is the area in which the brass faced pendulum bob swings side to side. At the bottom of the case is a decorative plinth. The dial is painted on tin and is ten inches across. The condition of which is excellent. Here you will find the Makers name and trademark. It also features a seconds indicator. The movement is a double spring time only design and will run fifteen days on a full wind. It is heavily constructed in brass and features a Graham deadbeat escapement. This movement is secured to an iron bracket which is mounted to the backboard in a similar manner to that of the Seth Thomas Number 2 model. This oak cased clock was made circa 1903.

This clock was originally purchased for Edward Herman Keith in 1903 by George E. Keith (relationship currently unknown).

Edward was born in West Bridgewater, MA on October 23, 1859 and died in Brockton, MA on December 10, 1859. He started his working career as a shoe cutter. He soon moved into politics and served on the Republican Town committee. He was on the Legislature that petitioned for the annexing of West Bridgewater to Brockton. He served as president of Campello Co=operative Bank. Severed in the MA State legislature, liquor law committee, and was voted the 14th mayor to serve the city of Brockton.

George Eldon Keith was a son of the Franklin and Betsey (Bailey) Keith. He was born February 8, 1850, in North Bridgewater, now Brockton. George E. Keith was the founder of George E. Keith Company which became Walk-Over Shoes. Walk-Over Shoes became one of the largest shoe companies in Brockton, Massachusetts. The city of Brockton was at the time known as the “Shoe City.” Walk -Over Shoes had progressive employee policies. The five story factory building was built with a infirmary. It also included a bowling alley and a gymnasium in the basement and a full kitchen for employees.

This clock was presented to Edward Herman Keith in 1903 by GeorgeE. Keith. It may have been a congratulatory gift for his winning the position of Mayor in that year. George is listed as the foreman of factory Number 2. postcards views of this shoe factory accompany this clock. Other contributors are listed include Ezra Damon, Gang room, A. Everett Cushing, Stitching room., Archie H. Doten Cutting room., Webster Fitton, Dressing room., William Rollins, Finishing room and G. Herbert Oliver, Heel room.

This information accompanies this clock.

About Seth Thomas

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

For more information about this clock click  here .