Seth Thomas. Plymouth, Connecticut. Pillar and Scroll mantel clock.

This is a very good example of a wooden geared Pillar & Scroll shelf clock with a pasted label that reads, “CLOCKS / Made and Sold by SETH THOMAS, / PLYMOUTH, CONN,”.

This fine example is in excellent condition. The wood, consisting of the feet, scroll work, horns and returns are all original to this clock and retains a pleasing older and maintained finish. The front of the clock is fitted with a door. The lower section is decorated with a reverse painted tablet. This glass is original to this example and is in excellent original condition. The colors are excellent. The upper section of the door is fitted with clear glass. Through this one can view the wooden dial. This is decorated with painted details and gilt work. The spandrel areas features raise designs. These details are elevated with gesso work. The basket of flowers located in the center section is an added bonus to the design. This clock is fitted with a wooden geared weight driven movement that is designed to run thirty hours on a full wind. It also features a strike train so it will strike the appropriate hour on a bell mounted inside the case. The Clockmaker’s label is pasted inside the case on the backboard.

This clock was made circa 1825 and stands approximately 30.5 inches tall. This is a very nice clean example. It is inventory number XX-12.

About Seth Thomas

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

For more information about this clock click  here .