Bigelow, Kennard & Co. of Boston, Massachusetts. A boule veneered and brass ormolu inlaid wall clock.

This French made clock was originally retailed by the Boston retail firm of Bigelow, Kennard & Co., sometime in the 1809’s. This is a high quality wall clock that remains in good condition. The case is designed to hang on the wall is is fitted with glass on three sides. The wooden structure is veneered with a boule product that is designed to look like tortoise shell. This is decorated with a complex pattern of inlaid brass. The effect is quite fancy and is quite attractive. The vast majority of this work is in very good condition. The case is also adorned with brass castings. These are also well form. The top casting is a depiction of the archangel Gabriel. The dial is also cast and the Roman style hour numerals are are individually represented in porcelain plaques. The hour number six also includes the retailer’s name. The French made movement is spring powered and designed to run 8-days and also to strike each hour and each half hour on a coiled wire gong mounted inside the case. This movement is wound with a key. The pendulum rod is covered in brass and supports a cast brass bob in the form of a sun burst. The motion of this is easy to view through the glass panels.

This clock measures approximately 44 inches long in total. It is 12.5 inches wide and 7 inches deep. Gabriel’s horn extend an additional 3 inches.

About Bigelow, Kennard & Co. of Boston, Massachusetts.

John Bigelow was born in Westminster, Massachusetts on May 26, 1802. His parents were Luke Bigelow and Asenath (Winship) Bigelow. John was trained as a silversmith and is first listed as doing business in Boston as early as 1824 as John Bigelow & Co. In the early 1830’s, he was joined by his brothers Alanson & Abraham O. Bigelow prompting the firm’s name to change to Bigelow Bros. & Co. The company expanded its business from jewelry to include high quality clocks, watches and altar silverware. Their merchandise was privately manufactured and sold at their store in Boston. Martin Parry Kennard of Brookline, Massachusetts joined the firm in 1845, which prompted the company to change its name to Bigelow Bros. & Kennard until 1863. From 1863 to 1972 the firm was called Bigelow, Kennard & Co. The store was closed in 1971-72.

For more information about this clock click  here .