Louis Bernhard of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.

Louis Bernhard is listed in several references as a watchmaker and jeweler working most of his life in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania.

The (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Bloomsburg, pg. 323) provides the following information about this industrious person.

Louis Bernhard was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1839. His family immigrated to America when he was a year old settling in New York City. With in a few years, they moved West to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Here he spent his childhood and was educated in the local townâ⒬┢s school system. At he age of 17, Louis began an apprenticeship in the watch making trade under the guidance of John F. Jordan. In 1858, Louis moved to the village of Bloomsburg where he established his own watchmaker’s and jewelers’ business. He was talented and very skilled. In 1859, he exhibited a chronometer watch that he made at the Columbia County county fair. In fact, he claimed to have manufactured all of itâ⒬┢s parts. This is thought to have been the first watch ever made in the county. It is reported that during his residence in Bloomsburg, he trained eleven apprentices in the watch trade. He is also said to have served the community as an architect and provided the plans for the Lowenberg & Cadman block, the Episcopal parsonage and his residence which was on Fifth Street. (It may be number 37 today?) Even the iron fence (now gone) surrounding his well kept and ornamental grounds was cast from designs drawn and furnished by him. He also enjoyed oil painting and was a carver in both marble and wood. A few examples of his work survive. Examples include an elaborately finished case of black walnut housing an astronomical clock of most intricate and perfect workmanship, an elegant inlaid box for his drawing instruments, a large elaborately carved black walnut looking-glass frame, several oil paintings that included landscapes representing some of the choicest scenery in the vicinity of Bloomsburg, several copies of famous paintings, among them “Shakespeare and his Friends.” All of these paintings are well executed and denote a high order of artistic skill. He has also executed oil portraits of himself and his wife and other members of his family. Mr. BERNHARD was a resident of Bloomsburg for nearly thirty years. He is thought to have been progressive and public-spirited, and has served this vicinity as a member of the council. He married Anna J. Townsend in April, 1862. Together, they had six children. Mr. and Mrs. Bernhard were members of the Episcopal Church. He made a study of civil engineering at Wilkes-Barre Academy, and completed his studies in New York City. (History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Battle, 1887, Bloomsburg, pg. 323)

Other known articles include his wheel cutting engine which is in the William Penn Memorial Museum in Harrisburg. A floor standing regulator made by him is in the NAWCC collection in Columbia, PA. This clock is described as a Regulator, having an eight-day time only brass movement. It utilizes the escapement invented by Thomas Reid of Edinburgh, Scotland in early 1800s. The heavy brass plates are skeletonized and attached to a wooden seat-board. The movement is engraved, “Louis Bernhard / Bloomsburg PA.” The pendulum is a Harrison gridiron design. The bob is also engraved with “Louis Bernhard, Maker.” The painted glass dial allows view of movement. It includes a subsidiary seconds dial. The walnut case is fitted with six glass panes. The interior is painted black with his portrait on behind the pendulum.

Louis Bernhard Clockmaker, Watchmaker, Jeweler, Artist and Architect working in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. This is a very unusual 30-day duration wall regulator.

This very impressive wall regulator was made in 1875 by Louis Bernhard of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. The design of which is a… read more