Henry J. Davies of New York.

Henry J. Davies operated a clock related business at No. 5 Courtland Street in New York, New York in 1858 through 1886. Today, Davies is probably best known for his design of the Crystal Place mantel clock. This clock, introduced in 1874, was displayed under a glass dome. Often times, figures where mounted aside the mounted movement and usually incorporated a mirror behind the pendulum. The vast majority of these clocks were powered by Ansonia manufactured movements and where later cataloged as Ansonia clocks when Davies became the General Manager of the Brooklyn, New York plant. Davies also received several patents for his designs including one for the now very collectible illumination alarm clock. These alarm clocks were designed to mechanically strike a match which in tern lit an oil lamp mounted in the clockâ⒬┢s case. The result was the illuminating of the room. One then could easily make their way around the interior or perhaps read the dial of the clock. This system was to compete with the simple and safe bell alarm format.