Joseph Carpenter. a silversmith, pewterer and clockmaker. Norwich, Connecticut.

Joseph Carpenter was born in Woodstock, Connecticut on July 4, 1747. His Parents were Joesph Carpenter (b 1715 – d 1749) and Elizabeth Lathrop (b 4/05/1724 – d 12/26/1817 at the age of 93.) Elizabeth remarried Joseph Peck (b 11/14/1706 – d 9/06/1776 )of Norwich on December 22, 1754. It is logical to assume that Joseph moved to Norwich when his mother remarried. He would have been just 7 years old. It is suggested in several horological listings that Joesph may have been trained as a clockmaker somewhere in Massachusetts. We know that he had family in Rehoboth. This may be a possible lead. It is recorded that Joseph moved back into Norwich in 1768 when he was 21 and worked in his stepfather’s shop as a silversmith. In 1772, he is recorded as purchasing various construction materials consistent with those needed to construct a building on land he rented from the church. This was located at 71 East Town Street on the Norwich town green. His shop was to occupy one half of the building. His brother, Gardner operated a mercantile business in the other half. In 1775, Joseph built a house for himself next door. He also married Eunice Fitch of Norwich on 29 June 1775. They were married in Woodstock. Together, they had 6 children. Joseph became an accomplished engraver, silversmith and pewterer. He trained several apprentices including Roswell Huntington, Rufus Farnam, Henry Farnam and his own son Charles Augustus Carpenter. Joseph advertised on three occasions that he wish to employ an apprentice at clockmaking. These ads were placed in the years 1775, 1789 and 1790. Joseph died in 1804 and at the time, was considered to be one of the most successful of the Norwich silversmiths, clockmakers and pewterers. When he passed, his appraisal listed amoung other items was “1 chime clock movement, face partly done.” Also a total of 4 clock cases. Carpenter’s shop is still standing on East Town Street on the Norwich town green. The shop was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1970. Very few clocks are know.