Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire.

Major Timothy Chandler was born on April 25th, 1762 in Rumford, Maine and died on July 22nd, 1848 in Concord, NH. He is the son of Timothy and Elizabeth (Copp) Chandler and was one of five chldren. It is not known who specifically taught him the art of clockmaking. It is known that he traveled to Pomfret, Connecticut in 1770-1783 to serve an apprenticeship to Jonathan Hale who was a wool card maker. It is speculated that Chandler may have also trained as a clockmaker with Peregrine White who was at work in nearby Woodstock. (Timothy named one of his sons Peregrine White Chandler.) Timothy moved back to Concord in 1791 and advertised tall clocks for sale. He was also appointed Sealer of Weights and Measures in Concord, NH. It is reported that in Novemeber of 1787, Timothy married Sarah Abbott of Concord. This suggests that he must have traveled back and forth to Concord form Pofret before he settled there. Together they had twelve children. In Concord, Timothy became a prolific clockmaker until his retirement in 1829. His ain competition being Levi and Abel Hutchins. Timothy was responsible for training several clockmakers including his sons, Timothy Jay, John Bradley and Abeil. He also trained Deacon Cyrus Eastman of Amherst, NH. Eastman served a seven year apprenticeship which ended about 1814. In 1797, he enlisted with the Minute Men and received the commission of Major in 1799. He also served as vice-president and then the president to the Merrimack Agricultural Society in the early 1800’s. In 1808, he was appointed the Surveyor of Highways in Concord. On the evening of August 17th, 1809, he suffered a fire that originated from his air furnace or forge in his clock manufactory. The manufactory, with all its contents, the house, the barn full of hay and two other hay barns were lost at a value of $5,000. Interestingly, the citizens of Concord raised $1,200 in order to help off set his losses and to rebuild. Chandler would rebuild, and continue his career as a clockmaker. In 1814, when Governor Gilman ordered the creation of local companies to defend the town in the event of attack, Chandler, now in his 50s, again volunteered to serve in the militia. In 1819, he served as Chairman of first “Lancastrian School.” In 1820, he and his son Timothy Jay formed a partnership as T. Chandler & Son. This lasted four years until T. Chandler & Co was formed in 1824 and lasted until 1828. This second company also included Timothy Jay. In 1825, Timothy Chandler was one of the nine officers of the newly formed New Hampshire Mutual Fire Insurance Company, one of New Hampshire’s earliest fire insurance providers. In 1827, he served as chairman of the group that organized the Unitarian Society. In 1829 through 1830 he joined his son Abeil under the firm name of A. Chandler & Co. After 1830, he worked alone and also served as President of Concord’s first Temperance Society, was Vice President of Concord Mechanics Association and One of 17 original trustees of N.H. Savings Bank. In 1834, he named 3 of Concord’s streets.

We have owned numerous examples of his work. These include tall clocks, timepieces, mirror clocks and shelf clocks. A fair number of silver items are also known.

Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire circa 1805. ¬†This tall clock is signed on the seat board with a die-stamp. ¬†

The case is constructed woods found locally to the Concord, New Hampshire region. The primary wood is cherry and the secondary… read more

Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire. A tall case clock.

This is a very good example of a popular case form made in Concord, New Hampshire circa 1795. This fine example… read more

Timothy Chandler's first clock. This tall clock is signed No. 1. and dated 1785.

This is a historically significant maple and tiger maple case tall clock made by Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire. The… read more