The Seth Thomas Clock Company. The "Hotel" in a walnut case.

This clock was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company and was cataloged in 1900. It is called the "Hotel."

This example stands 18 inches tall, 14 inches wide and just under 7 inches deep. The case is constructed in walnut and retains an older finish and very color. The sides of the case are fitted with decoratively carved panels. A depiction of a woman's profile is centered in this panel as a medallion. The front door of the clock is decorated with carved quarter fans that frame the fitted glass opening to the dial. A brass trim ring is attached to the interior of the door and secures the glass in the opening. This door opens to a access the painted dial which measures approximately 8 inches in diameter. The dial pan retains its original painted surface. The hours are indicated with Roman style numerals. This dial also features a subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker's trademark. The spring driven eight day, time and strike movement is constructed in brass. The front plate of the movement is die-stamped by the Maker. It features a Geneva Stop winding mechanism and a seconds hand. This movement is designed to run eight days on a full wind and to strike each hour on the hour on a wire gong. This wire gong is advertised as a Cathedral Bell. It sounds wonderful. The bell stand is die-stamped with a patent date. The pendulum bob is brass. The rod is made of wood.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .