Seth Thomas Ship's Bell "Yacht Clock." Marine lever clock. Wall clock. 219099

One of the most difficult marine models to find, this is he Yacht Clock. It was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company and was cataloged in 1913. The dimensions are approximately 10.5 inches long, 6.25 inches wide and 3.5 inches deep. The case is brass and has been recently polished. The bezel is fitted with glass and is hinged to access the dial. This dial is 5.5 inches in diameter. It is brass and the numerals and calligraphy have been stamped into the surface. The depressions are then filled with black wax and the dial surface has been silvered for contrast. This dial os signed “Seth Thomas.” The time track is formatted with black incised Roman hour numerals. A subsidiary seconds dial is located below the center arbor. Traditional spade hands are use to indicate the time. The brass spring driven movement features a lever escapement and half hour ship’s bell strike. The bell is exposed and mounted on top of the case. The striking format is the ship’s strike same as on board a ship. The spring power may run this clock for 2.5 days. The first 30 hours on excellent time. A paper partial label is pasted on the back of the case. It reads “One-Day / Lever / Seth Thomas, Thomaston, Conn”.

219099 Delaney Antique Clocks.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .