Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Conn. "School House" clock. 8 inch dial, 219138.

This “Drop Octagon 8 Inch” was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut. This case form is commonly called a “School House” clock because it was often used in school rooms across the country.

This is a nice clean example. This oak cased clock was made in February of 1918 and is so stamped on the back of the case in the Seth Thomas date code. This case measures approximately 17 inches long. The small size makes this model quite versatile. Every room in one’s home, office, or cottage should have enough space to display it. The case is in good overall condition retaining its original rich reddish finish that the Seth Thomas Company called a “Fumed” finish. This finish format gave the clock case an aged appearance when brand new.

The time-only movement has been recently serviced and is in excellent working order. The brass front plate is die-stamped with the Maker’s trademark and the model number “41B.” This movement is spring wound and features a Geneva Stop winding mechanism. It is designed to run for eight-days on a full wind. The pendulum bob is covered in brass. It can be viewed through the circular opening in the lower door.

The paper dial measures 8 inches in diameter and is applied to a tin pan. This is an original dial and features a closed minute ring and the wording “MANUFACTURED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” printed along the outside at the bottom. Large Arabic-style hour numerals are positioned inside the ring. The Maker’s name is printed in block lettering across the center of the dial. A brass bezel, which has been polished, is fitted with glass to protect the dial.

This very nice example is inventory number 219138.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .