Seth Thomas Modena mantel clock. 220055

This attractive model is part of Seth Thomas’s Cabinet series. The Modena was cataloged in 1913 and originally sold for $18.00. If you opted to buy the fancier inlaid version, like the one pictured, it would cost you an additional $2.50 or $20.50.

Please take note of this interesting case form. The case is constructed in mahogany and is decoratively inlaid in a lighter wood. The contrast is quite nice. The dial bezel is brass and is fitted with a convex piece of glass. This forms a door which opens to a 5-inch convex shaped porcelain dial. The time ring is formatted with Arabic numerals and the Maker’s name is signed in script. Because this dial is porcelain, it will never fade. It does have a couple of areas of minor losses around the winding arbors. The brass spring driven movement is designed to run for eight-days on a full wind. It is good quality. It strikes the hour on each hour and additionally, once each half hour on a wire gong that is mounted inside the case. The strike train is actuated by a count-wheel which is mounted on the back of the works. The movement is also signed with the Maker’s die-stamp and “MADE IN / U.S.A. AMERICA” are impressed into the back plate.

This clock stands 12 inches tall and was made circa 1913. This is a very good example.


About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .