The Eureka Clock Company of London England. This custom case example is No. 2516. 221051

The Eureka Clock was the brain child of Timothy Bernard Powers. Powers was an electrical engineer living in New York on Broadway. His first patent was applied for on 12, May 1906. Enter the Kutnow Brothers of New York and formally from London, England where they had a manufacturing business. Several other patents were to follow. The Patents that Powers applied for were for the design of a movement that featured a electromagnetic balance wheel. This was powered by a constant voltage (of c.1.5 volts) is required to ensure consistency in the amplitude of oscillation. The Kutnow Brothers were interested in Powers patent and provided him some financial assistance. They soon encouraged him to move to London sometime before 1908 to produce this mechanism / clock. Powers is listed first listed as living at the Charter House Hotel, Chatterhouse Square in London and then later at 361 City Road in London. The Eureka Clock Clock Ltd was formed in London in 1908 by the Kutnows and Frank Jowett. Jowett became the Company’s secretary. The city address was 361/363 City Road. The Eureka Clock Company made clocks between the years of 1908 and 1914. Fifteen case styles were offered in their catalogs. Most of which are numbered up to 10,000. There are also a series of clocks recorded that have serial numbers between 12,000 and 14,000. These examples are thought to have been presented in non-cataloged cases. The vast majority of these have been found with larger painted metal dials, often measuring in 12 inches in diameter. The cases appear to be custom made, most of which are a very simple design. It is¬†currently thought that approximately 15,000 clocks were made by them before their demise in 1914.

This is an earlier example. The case is constructed in mahogany. It is designed with a base that conceals the power source or battery. The movement and dial are mounted to the top of this section and protected by a removable top. This top is fitted with four beveled glass panels. These provide a line of sight to the dial and this unusual mechanism. One has to lift the entire top of the case off to gain access to the dial. The porcelain dial measures 4.25 inches in diameter and is fitted in a brass outer bezel. An open minute ring and large Arabic style hour numerals make up the time ring. The hands are steel and indicate the time. Printed on the dial is the “EUREKA CLOCK CO. / LTD / LONDON. Access to the mechanism is gained from the back of the dial. The movement is signed on engine turned decorated back plate, “PATENT / No 14614 / 1906 /¬†No. 2516.” Here one will find the large iconic balance wheel and mechanism. This is the two ball version. We estimate that this clock will run approximately one year on two d-cell batteries.

This fine shelf or mantel clock measures approximately 10.5 inches tall, 8.25 inches wide and 6.75 inches deep. It is inventory number 221051.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .