Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire. An inlaid cherry case tall clock. 218109

The very traditional looking form is constructed woods found locally to the Concord, New Hampshire region. The primary wood is cherry and the secondary wood is New England white pine. The line inlays are most likely holly and the oval in the base is a fine selection of figured birch. This case has been appropriately refinished in the last 50 years. The pleasing color and the warm tones are excellent.

This fine example stands up on and applied bracket base. The four feet are nicely formed and retain excellent height. The base panel is framed with a line inlay pattern. The center of the panel features and inlaid oval of figured birch. The waist section is fitted with a rectangular shaped waist door. This is trimmed with an applied molding. Through this door one can gain access to the interior of the case and the components that include the two drive weights and the brass faced pendulum bob. The waist door is inlaid with a string pattern that frames the panel. Additional inlay patterns are displayed in the blocks that support the quarter columns. The inlay pattern used here is more complex. The inset quarter columns are fluted. The bonnet or hood is surmounted with a pierced and open fret work pattern. This decorative design detail is a traditional New England design. It is supported by three inlaid finial plinths. The inlay pattern used here is the same pattern used under the quarter columns in the waist section. Each plinth is fitted with a brass ball and spike finial. The molded arch is supported by smoothly turned and fluted bonnet columns. These are free standing and mounted in brass capitals. They flank the arched bonnet door which is fitted with glass. Rectangular shaped side lights are located on both sides of the hood.

The painted iron dial is a English product having a Osbourne false-plate. This dial features a nautical theme. The four spandrel areas are decorated with an aquatic plant of some kind. This theme is framed in gilt. In the arch of the dial is a small grouping of sea shells. It looks like the one on the left is a Broad-Ribbed Cardita. The center shell might be a Scotch Bonnet? The small one on the right could possibly be a Bleeding Tooth. In any event, the scene is somewhat unusual and interesting. The time ring is formatted in a traditional layout. Small Arabic style numerals are used to mark the five minute positions. A dotted minute ring is used to separate the them from the large Roman style hour numerals. A subsidiary seconds dial is located just below the hour XII. The calendar is positioned below the center arbor. The steel hour and minute hands are a traditional design.

The clock works are constructed in brass and is good quality. Four turned brass pillars support the two brass plates. Hardened steel shafts support the polished steel pinions and brass gearing. The winding drums are grooved. The escapement is designed as a recoil format. The movement is weight driven and designed to run eight days on a full wind. It is a two train or a time and strike design having a rack and snail striking system. As a result, it will strike each hour on the hour. This is done on a cast iron bell which is mounted above the movement. The works are mounted on a seat-board that is die-stamped by the Clockmaker. The stamp reads, “T. CHANDLER.” This attractive clock was made circa 1805. It stands approximately 91 inches or 7 feet 7 inch tall to the top of the center finial. Measured at the upper hood molding, this case is 21.25 inches wide and 10.5 inches deep.

218109

About Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire.

Major Timothy Chandler was born on April 25th, 1762 in Rumford, Maine and died on July 22nd, 1848 in Concord, NH. He is the son of Timothy and Elizabeth (Copp) Chandler and was one of five chldren. It is not known who specifically taught him the art of clockmaking. It is known that he traveled to Pomfret, Connecticut in 1770-1783 to serve an apprenticeship to Jonathan Hale who was a wool card maker. It is speculated that Chandler may have also trained as a clockmaker with Peregrine White who was at work in nearby Woodstock. (Timothy named one of his sons Peregrine White Chandler.) Timothy moved back to Concord in 1791 and advertised tall clocks for sale. He was also appointed Sealer of Weights and Measures in Concord, NH. It is reported that in Novemeber of 1787, Timothy married Sarah Abbott of Concord. This suggests that he must have traveled back and forth to Concord form Pofret before he settled there. Together they had twelve children. In Concord, Timothy became a prolific clockmaker until his retirement in 1829. His ain competition being Levi and Abel Hutchins. Timothy was responsible for training several clockmakers including his sons, Timothy Jay, John Bradley and Abeil. He also trained Deacon Cyrus Eastman of Amherst, NH. Eastman served a seven year apprenticeship which ended about 1814. In 1797, he enlisted with the Minute Men and received the commission of Major in 1799. He also served as vice-president and then the president to the Merrimack Agricultural Society in the early 1800’s. In 1808, he was appointed the Surveyor of Highways in Concord. On the evening of August 17th, 1809, he suffered a fire that originated from his air furnace or forge in his clock manufactory. The manufactory, with all its contents, the house, the barn full of hay and two other hay barns were lost at a value of $5,000. Interestingly, the citizens of Concord raised $1,200 in order to help off set his losses and to rebuild. Chandler would rebuild, and continue his career as a clockmaker. In 1814, when Governor Gilman ordered the creation of local companies to defend the town in the event of attack, Chandler, now in his 50s, again volunteered to serve in the militia. In 1819, he served as Chairman of first “Lancastrian School.” In 1820, he and his son Timothy Jay formed a partnership as T. Chandler & Son. This lasted four years until T. Chandler & Co was formed in 1824 and lasted until 1828. This second company also included Timothy Jay. In 1825, Timothy Chandler was one of the nine officers of the newly formed New Hampshire Mutual Fire Insurance Company, one of New Hampshire’s earliest fire insurance providers. In 1827, he served as chairman of the group that organized the Unitarian Society. In 1829 through 1830 he joined his son Abeil under the firm name of A. Chandler & Co. After 1830, he worked alone and also served as President of Concord’s first Temperance Society, was Vice President of Concord Mechanics Association and One of 17 original trustees of N.H. Savings Bank. In 1834, he named 3 of Concord’s streets.

We have owned numerous examples of his work. These include tall clocks, timepieces, mirror clocks and shelf clocks. A fair number of silver items are also known.

For more information about this clock click  here .