John Ellicott, London. A Month Duration Standing Regulator. BBB10

This finely finished movement is typical of Ellicott’s work. The quality of workmanship is outstanding. This single train timepiece is designed to run 30-days on a wind. The two highly polished brass plates are substantial and shaped at the top. Six latched and decoratively turned pillars support the plates. The four dial feet are also decoratively turned and secured with latches on the inside of the front plate. The finely crafted wheelwork features six crossings throughout. The escape wheel is very delicate. It is cut as a deadbeat. The pallets span approximately 11 teeth. Hardened shafts support the wheels and the 12 leaved pinions. The great wheel pinion has 20 leaves. This movement incorporates maintaining power. This is activated by a bolt and shutter system. The rate adjustment is accessed at the top of the dial. Rotating this hand turns a shaft that connects to an endless screw and worm gear at the top of the clockwork. This, in turn, will raise and or lower the pendulum in the post. The pendulum hangs from a substantial bridge mounted to the back of the works. The pendulum construction is unusual. The thin wide rod is composed of two different metals, brass, and steel. These are pinned or riveted together in increments of approximately 2.5-inches. These two metals will expand and contract at different rates with the changes in temperature. This rod supports a large brass bob that measures approximately 9 inches in diameter. A graduated rating nut is below the bob.

John Ellicott and a small number of other London Clockmakers, including Delander and Mudge, favored this unusual dial form. The modified arched dial is brass. The information it displays, time, Maker’s name, and working location has been skillfully engraved into the front surface. The engravings are filled with black paraffin, and the dial’s surface is finished in a silver wash. The silver adheres to the brass, creating a strong contrast. In the lunette of this dial is an external adjustment for the rating of the pendulum. This is performed by turning the single-pointed steel hand in the direction desired. The Clockmaker’s name and working location are engraved on either side of this feature, just above the large minute ring. The minute ring is divided into sixty blocks. Each five-minute increment is labeled with the appropriate Arabic five-minute numeral. The seconds display is located below 12 o’clock and shares the same formatting presented on the minute ring. The display for hours is in a curved aperture located below the minute arbor. This hour display is in a Roman numeral style format. This clock winds at the eight o’clock position. The winding hole is covered from the back with a shutter. This shutter is opened by pulling on a string inside the case. The shutter raises out of the way and provides power to the time train as it closes.

This formal case is constructed in walnut and retains an older finish. This is a popular case form for this distinguished Clockmaker dating about 1760. Other examples are known. The case stands on an applied double-stepped bracket base that rests flat on the floor. The base is fitted with an applied panel of nicely figured walnut. This is trimmed along its perimeter with applied molding. The corners of the design have been cutaway or relieved. The waist is long and narrow. The canted waist corners are carved with a fluted design that terminates in a lamb’s tongue molding. The design of the waist door features a complex top and applied molding. This door opens to access the interior of the case. Here, one has access to the brass-covered drive weight and the pendulum. The hood is nicely formed. It is reminiscent of a bracket clock case from the same period. The canted corners are fluted. The door glass conforms to the unusual shape of the dial. Carved moldings also follow this design. The hood is boxed at the top, supporting a caddy-shaped pediment. This pediment shape is reminiscent of the basket tops incorporated in the design of bracket clocks of the period. Three wooden finial plinths support turned wooden ball finials.

This exemplary clock case stands approximately 93 inches (7 feet 9 inches) tall to the top of the center finial. The case is 18.75 inches wide and 10 inches deep at the base. It was made circa 1760.

BBB-10

About John Ellicott II A London Clockmaker, Watchmaker, Scientist and Engineer.

John Ellicott II was born into a clockmaking family and became one of the most eminent of English makers. His father John was also a clockmaker and a member of the Company of Clockmakers in London. He was made free in 1696. His son, John II was born about 1706. He carried on his father’s business after he past away in June of 1733. The shop was then located at 17 Sweeting’s Alley Royal Exchange and had been there since about 1728. John II earned a reputation through the excellence of his workmanship, the beauty of his products and the science he brought to horology. So much so that he was appointed clockmaker to King George III. In 1738, John II became one of the exculsive few clockmakersto be elected to the most august scientific body, The Royal Society. His was on the concil of this organization. His term lasted three years. John II died in 1772 after from falling from his chair,. His eldest son Edward continued the business.

For more information about this clock click  here .