Seth Thomas. Regulator No. 18. Wall timepiece in oak.

This impressive oak case wall clock measures 54 inches long. Big regulators like this one are visually pleasing. The gentle motion of the pendulum is a sight to see. The case has been recently refinished and features a warm golden oak coloring. The painted dial measures 14 inches in diameter and is painted on a zinc pan. It is in excellent original condition which is remarkable for a Seth Thomas clock. The dial features a time track that displays the hours with Roman numerals, a subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s trademark is located just above the six o’clock hour. The movement is brass and is very good quality. The movement is weight powered and is designed to run eight days on a full wind. It incorporates both a “Graham Deadbeat escapement” and “Maintaining power.” The front plate is diestamped with the clockmaker’s name and trademark. This movement is secured to the case by an iron bracket that is screwed to the backboard. The pendulum also hangs from this location. It is constructed with a wooden rod and a large brass covered bob. It is designed to compensate for changes in temperature. The weight is also brass and matches the finish found on the bob. This clock was made circa 1900.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .