Seth Thomas Office Calendar No. 11. Double dial perpetual calendar. -SOLD-

This attractive wall clock was made by the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut. It is cataloged as the “Office Calendar No. 11.” This model was first offered in the 1884-1885 catalog and was the most expensive and the largest production calendar clock offered by the firm. It was offered in five choices of wood. They included walnut, cherry, oak, old oak and eventually mahogany. The Office Calendar No. 11 was the only Office model offered in mahogany. This model was made until 1907. This example having a mahogany case and a pendulum that hangs from the back of the movement was made circa 1900 and is in very good original condition.

This is an impressive clock. It is a later version having a mahogany veneered case that features a dark finish that is consistent. The case measures a full 68.5 inches in height. At the upper crest, it is 26.5 inches wide and 8 inches deep. The crest is thought to have been hand carved and is secured to the top with two wooden dowels. The fully turned columns flank the sides of the case. They feature several variations in turning designs. The front of the case features a large door that is fitted with glass. This opens to access the interior.

The two painted dials are framed in brass bezels that are supported by a decorative carved mask. This is the latter style mask in that the design is accentuated with carvings and it features a drop pendant in the center. The dials measure 14 inches in diameter and are painted on tin pans. Both dials are in excellent condition. The upper dial displays the time, hours, minutes and seconds. The time track is set up in the traditional Roman hour numeral format. A subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s trademark are found in the appropriate locations. The lower dial displays the calendar information. The days of the month are located on the perimeter of the dial. These numerals are structured in an Arabic format and the date of the month is indicated by the long calendar hand. The day of the week and the month are viewed through rectanuglar cut outs in the center. This information is printed on their individual paper rolls which are in excellent condition. The calendar patent date information is also painted on this dial. It reads “Patented Feb. 15, 1876.”

This patent date refers to Randal T. Andrews Jr.‘s design for a new and improved calendar mechanism. Andrews was a Seth Thomas employee. This was the design of choice for Seth Thomas Clock Company going forward. The calendar mechanism is designed to be perpetual. This means that when it is set up correctly, it will automatically adjust for the variations in the lengths of the twelve months and adjust for leap year. This mechanism is supported by a large bracket that is attached to the backboard. It gets it’s change orders form the time movement mounted above.

This weight driven brass seconds beat movement features plates in the form of a trapezoid. The front plate is die stamped with the Maker’s trademark. The movement features a deadbeat escapement, cut pinions and maintaining power. It is mounted to the backboard via a cast iron mounting bracket. This bracket provides enough space for the pendulum to be mounted at the back of the movement. It is a seconds pendulum comprised of a wooden rod and a brass covered bob. The bob is decorated with a fancy engraved design. The brass pendulum bob is visible in the lower section of the case. The painted cast iron weight hangs from a cord that threads through a pulley that is mounted to the upper right side of the case. This provides enough drop for the clock to run eight days on a full wind. The weight descends down the right side of the case and is die stamped on the bottom “929.”

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .