Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire. An inlaid mahogany case made by Choate & Martin. Their cabinetmakers label pasted inside the case.

This is an excellent example of a finely constructed inlaid mahogany case tall clock that reflects a strong Roxbury or Boston, Massachusetts influence.

This case exhibits very good masculine proportions. This form was made popular by the Willard family and their numerous apprentices. This fine example is signed on the dial by Timothy Chandler who worked in Concord, New Hampshire. In addition, this case retains a case makers label pasted to the backboard. The label is signed by the cabinet makers Choate & Martin while working in Concord, New Hampshire. It is very unusual to find a cabinetmakers label in a tall clock. This is a wonderful addition to the clocks’ history.

This example stands approximately 97 inches tall to the top of the center finial. The case stands on four applied ogee bracket feet. They are applied directly to the bottom of the double stepped molding. The base panel is richly grained and is decoratively line inlaid. This inlay pattern is formatted with ovolo corners and centers a fully formed patera in the center of the base panel. The waist section is fitted with a large tombstone shaped waist door. This door is also line inlaid and features an excellent selection of mahogany veneer. This door is trimmed with an applied molding. Open this door and you will have access to the two original tin can weights and brass faced pendulum. You will also be able to see the cabinetmaker’s label. This is pasted on to the backboard. The sides or corners of the case are fitted with inset quarter columns. These are fully fluted and stopped with brass. The columns terminate in brass quarter capitals. The bonnet is fitted with a traditional New England style fret. The fret work is support by three fluted chimney or final plinths. Each are fitted with caps at the top. These support the three brass ball and spike finials. Fully turned and brass stop fluted bonnet columns or colonnettes visually support the upper bonnet molding. They are mounted in brass capitals and are free standing. Nicely turned quarter columns are set into the back corners of the bonnet. These are smoothly shaped and terminate in ring turned wooden capitals. The sides of the hood are fitted with tombstone shaped side lights and they are fitted with glass. The arched bonnet line inlaid door is also fitted with glass and opens to access the painted iron dial.

This dial is signed by the Maker. It reads below the calendar aperture, “Timo Chandler / Concord.” This example features a moon phase or lunar calendar in the arch. The time track is done in two separate formats. The hours are indicated in Roman numerals. The five minute markers are painted in an Arabic form. A subsidiary seconds dial and month calendar can bee seen inside the time ring. The four spandrel areas are colorfully decorated with floral subject matter.

This fine movement is constructed in brass and is good quality. Four turned pillars support the two brass plates. Hardened steel shafts support the polished steel pinions and brass gearing. The winding drums are grooved. The escapement is designed as a recoil format. The movement is weight driven and designed to run eight days on a full wind. It is a two train or a time and strike design having a rack and snail striking system. As a result, it will strike each hour on the hour. This is done on a cast iron bell which is mounted above the movement.

This fine example was made circa 1795 and stands 8 feet 1 inches tall to the top of the center finial. It is 21.5 inches wide and 9.75 inches deep.

The Choate & Martin Cabinet firm was comprised of Robert Choate and George Whitfield Martin. Both men were originally from coastal towns in Massachusetts. Their partnership was formed on April 2, 1994 and ended ion May 16, 1796. Choate moved to Orford, New Hampshire.

The cabinetmakers’ hand written label is pasted inside the case to the backboard. It reads ‘“Made by Choate & Martin / Cabinet & Chair Makers. Concord.” Labels by New Hampshire craftsman of this period are very difficult to find. It is easy to speculate that a percentage of these types of applied labels have been lost due to neglect, quality of the adhesive used or even in some instances, wear.

Robert Choate was born on September 6th, 1770 in Newburyport, Massachusetts. It is thought that he had moved to Concord, NH by 1794 because he formed a partnership with George Martin as Choate & Martin in April of that year. This partnership last until May 1796. He also married Apphia Worthen in Concord on September 1, 1796. Choate continued to work alone as a cabinet and chair maker until he sold his property to George Whitfield Rogers who incidentally was originally from Newburyport as well. His wife Apphia died in Thetford, Vermont on August 26, 1809. It is logical to assume that Robert was till with her at the time.

George Whitfield Martin was baptized in Marblehead, Massachusetts on May 5th, 1771 He was working as a cabinetmaker before he moved to Concord to join Choate in a partnership. After the dissolution of t the Choate and Martin firm in 1796, Martin moved to Essex County, Massachusetts and settled in Salem where he married Sally Bullock In April of 1997.

This clock is inventory number SS-134.

About Timothy Chandler of Concord, New Hampshire.

Major Timothy Chandler was born on April 25th, 1762 in Rumford, Maine and died on July 22nd, 1848 in Concord, NH. He is the son of Timothy and Elizabeth (Copp) Chandler and was one of five chldren. It is not known who specifically taught him the art of clockmaking. It is known that he traveled to Pomfret, Connecticut in 1770-1783 to serve an apprenticeship to Jonathan Hale who was a wool card maker. It is speculated that Chandler may have also trained as a clockmaker with Peregrine White who was at work in nearby Woodstock. (Timothy named one of his sons Peregrine White Chandler.) Timothy moved back to Concord in 1791 and advertised tall clocks for sale. He was also appointed Sealer of Weights and Measures in Concord, NH. It is reported that in Novemeber of 1787, Timothy married Sarah Abbott of Concord. This suggests that he must have traveled back and forth to Concord form Pofret before he settled there. Together they had twelve children. In Concord, Timothy became a prolific clockmaker until his retirement in 1829. His ain competition being Levi and Abel Hutchins. Timothy was responsible for training several clockmakers including his sons, Timothy Jay, John Bradley and Abeil. He also trained Deacon Cyrus Eastman of Amherst, NH. Eastman served a seven year apprenticeship which ended about 1814. In 1797, he enlisted with the Minute Men and received the commission of Major in 1799. He also served as vice-president and then the president to the Merrimack Agricultural Society in the early 1800’s. In 1808, he was appointed the Surveyor of Highways in Concord. On the evening of August 17th, 1809, he suffered a fire that originated from his air furnace or forge in his clock manufactory. The manufactory, with all its contents, the house, the barn full of hay and two other hay barns were lost at a value of $5,000. Interestingly, the citizens of Concord raised $1,200 in order to help off set his losses and to rebuild. Chandler would rebuild, and continue his career as a clockmaker. In 1814, when Governor Gilman ordered the creation of local companies to defend the town in the event of attack, Chandler, now in his 50s, again volunteered to serve in the militia. In 1819, he served as Chairman of first “Lancastrian School.” In 1820, he and his son Timothy Jay formed a partnership as T. Chandler & Son. This lasted four years until T. Chandler & Co was formed in 1824 and lasted until 1828. This second company also included Timothy Jay. In 1825, Timothy Chandler was one of the nine officers of the newly formed New Hampshire Mutual Fire Insurance Company, one of New Hampshire’s earliest fire insurance providers. In 1827, he served as chairman of the group that organized the Unitarian Society. In 1829 through 1830 he joined his son Abeil under the firm name of A. Chandler & Co. After 1830, he worked alone and also served as President of Concord’s first Temperance Society, was Vice President of Concord Mechanics Association and One of 17 original trustees of N.H. Savings Bank. In 1834, he named 3 of Concord’s streets.

We have owned numerous examples of his work. These include tall clocks, timepieces, mirror clocks and shelf clocks. A fair number of silver items are also known.


For more information about this clock click  here .