E. Ingraham & Co., Bristol, Conn. Arch Top No. 1 Mantel clock. TT159

Elias Ingraham was born in Marlborough, Connecticut on October 1, 1805. He died in 1885, Elias dies and his brother Edward carries on as the President of E. Ingraham & Co. The Ingrahams, as a family made and sold clocks for over 150 years.

Elias was trained as a casemaker. He served is apprenticeship to in Glastonbury. Once a journeyman, he took a job for George Mitchell designing cases.

This model represents a business that was started in 1857. Elias had just moved back from Ansonia to Bristol and rented the old Boardman shop on Pond street. With several financial backers he formed the Elias Ingraham & Company. This is one of the first models he designed. It is referred to as the “Arch Column No. 1.” It first appeared in 1857 when Elias was granted a patent for the case design. This model remain in production for 15 years. The example pictured here is a later version having the door fitted with two circular openings. The early versions have a circle over a square opening.

This case measures approximately 17 inches tall and is veneered in rosewood. Note the large cornice molding located at the top of this case. This version has flat sides between the upper and lower moldings. Their is a variant case that features arches on the sides. The door is centered in the front of the case by two tapered columns which are applied to the case. These columns retain their original gilding and are in excellent condition. One can still see the concentric rings that are burnished into the design. The lower tablet is unusual in terms of it's coloring. Multiple colors are used in the design. The center panel depicts an urn filled with florals on a pink field. This tablet is in good original condition. The upper section is fitted with a clear piece of glass. Open this door and one can access the dial and interior of the case.

The dial is paper and is applied to a tin pan. It is original to the clock. It features Roman style hour numerals. The dial pan is trimmed with a brass bezel. Pressed into the outer ring is the May 10, 1859 patent date.

The brass spring powered movement is designed to run eight day on a full wind and strike the hour on a wire gong. The striking mechanism is a count wheel design.

The Maker's label is applied to the backboard. The condition of which is very good. This label was printed by the "Calhoun Printing Company, Hartford, Conn." It lists 4 of Elias Ingraham’s Patents. The last one being granted on May 10th, 1864.

This clock was made circa 1865.

For more information about this clock click  here .