Seth Thomas Marine Lever Clock. 1899. STAR BRASS MFG. CO. / BOSTON, MASS.

This clock marine lever clock features and engraved brass dial that is dated on the dial "1899" and bears the name of the retailer, "STAR BRASS MFG. CO. / BOSTON, MASS." This company was a manufacturer of pressure gauges for all purposes and was in business for many years. They purchased clocks from companies like E. Howard & Co., Chelsea and Seth Thomas and had their name engraved on to the dials. Clocks like this were sold to a number of their clients and also served as a form of advertising for their firm.

This Seth Thomas made timepiece is designed to run eight days on a full wind. The movement bears their die stamp on the front plate. It is powered by two coil springs and regulated by a balance wheel escapement. As a result, it will run in a somewhat of a hostile environment in terms of possible vibrations to the case. This case is made of brass and treated with a nickel finish. It measures almost 10.5 inches in diameter and is 4.25 inches deep. Please note the wonderful shaping of this hinged bezel. The bezel features a push button latch assembly and is fitted with glass in order to protect the 8.5 inch diameter dial. This dial is brass and was original silvered. Much of the original silver finish has been worn away presenting it in an old world format . The information on this dial is engraved into the surface. The hours are marked with Roman numerals. A subsidiary seconds dial is located below the numeral twelve. The timing adjustment can be made by the lever which is located on the front of the dial with in the hour numeral twelve.

This clock was made circa 1899. It is inventory number 22114.

About Seth Thomas of Plymouth and later Thomaston, Connecticut.

Thomas was born in Wolcott, Connecticut, in 1785. He was apprenticed as a carpenter and joiner, and worked building houses and barns. He started in the clock business in 1807, working for clockmaker Eli Terry. Thomas formed a clock-making partnership in Plymouth, Connecticut with Eli Terry and Silas Hoadley as Terry, Thomas & Hoadley.

In 1810, he bought Terry’s clock business, making tall clocks with wooden movements, though chose to sell his partnership in 1812, moving in 1813 to Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut, where he set up a factory to make metal-movement clocks. In 1817, he added shelf and mantel clocks. By the mid-1840s, he changed over to brass from wooden movements. He made the clock that is used in Fireman’s Hall. He died in 1859, whereupon the company was taken over by his son, Aaron, who added many styles and improvements after his father’s death. The company went out of business in the 1980s.


For more information about this clock click  here .