Howard & Davis Model No.1 Regulator. Boston, MA. Wall clock. TT-143.

The No.1 Regulator is an impressive clock measuring 4 feet 2 inches long. This is a decorative example. It has been restored to a level that attracts a lot of attention. The painted glasses are bright, the wooden work is super clean. It is hard to walk by this clock with out it attracting ones attention.

The case is constructed in cherry wood which is vibrantly grained with india ink. This is done in order to simulate the grain pattern and look of rosewood. The surface has been treated with a high polish. It stands out. The tablets are painted in the traditional E. Howard colors of back, red and gold from the back. These have been repainted and are in excellent condition. The pendulum hangs from the front of the movement. The supporting rod is made of seasoned cherry and retains its original gilding. This can be viewed through a clear opening in the throat tablet decoration. The large heavy bob is zinc and is covered in brass. The brass retains its original damascene pattern. The pattern is bold and remains in excellent condition. The motion of this eight inch bob can been easily viewed through the clear opening in the lower tablet. The paper dial on this example is original to this clock and is in excellent original condition. It measures 12 inches in diameter and features a Roman numeral formatted time ring, subsidiary seconds dial and the Maker’s name and working location. This dial is signed, “HOWARD & DAVIS / BOSTON.” The movement is excellent quality and is mounted to the backboard with tabs. It is designed with heavy brass trapezoidal shaped plates, a Graham Dead Beat Escapement, maintaining power, a double suspension spring and a Geneva Winding Stop. As a result, these clocks vary only seconds a month and are excellent time keepers.

This impressive wall hanging timepiece was made circa 1850. It is inventory number TT-143.

About Howard & Davis of Boston, Massachusetts.

The Howard & Davis firm was formed in Boston, Massachusetts by Edward Howard and David Potter Davis some time in 1842. Both men were trained and served their apprenticeship in clockmaking to Aaron Willard Jr. of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Their partnership lasted approximately ten years. In 1844 through 1847, Luther S. Stephenson joined the partnership which was then called Stephenson, Howard & Davis. It is now currently thought that the Howard & Davis name was not used until after Stephenson departed. The Howard & Davis Clock Company was located at No 34 Water Street. Here they built a reputation for building very high quality items which included various forms of high grade clocks and precision balances or scales. Gold standard balances were used by banks. Letter balances were built under contract for the United States Government. These were used in state and county offices. Town standards (scales) and Druggist’s balances were also manufactured along with the necessary weights. The company also made sewing machines and fire pumpers. In 1857, the Howard & Davis firm was dissolved when D. P. Davis left to peruse other ventures. In 1857, Davis was part of Davis, Polsey & Co. This firm identified itself as the “late Howard and Davis.” They manufactured clocks and a line of pull cord, pin registration watch clocks. This firm lasted until 1860. Posley continued to make these clocks on his own. In 1858, E. Howard began to sign his clocks, E. Howard & Co. This firm enjoyed many prosperous years making clocks and latter watches until he retired in 1881.

Sold

For more information about this clock click  here .